Unable to Reach Us by Phone?

The District is experiencing intermittent phone outages. If you do not reach us, keep trying or use email. Thanks for your patience while we work with the phone company to resolve the issue.

1960's ariel view of Centennial campus

Centennial School District History

Centennial district residents attended the formal dedication of
Centennial Senior High School April 29, 1962. This marked the culmination of efforts to
achieve a K-12 local school system.

Circulating Pines April 26, 1962 article outlining the steps taken to
 build the junior high and senior high. click here

first school board

The first District #12 School Board
(This photo was published in the August 1960 Sentinel)

 

first district 12 administrators

The first Centennial School District #12 administrators

District superintendent history:
Brian R. Dietz, 2013-present
Dr. Keith Dixon, 2011-13
Dr. Paul Stremick, 2009-11
Dr. Roger Worner, 2005-09
Dr. John Christiansen, 2000-05
John McClellan, 1976-2000
Bill Mattke, 1972-1976
Arthur Bergee, 1957-1972


District #12 Timeline

School District #12 has roots dating back to April of 1853 when the Manomin School District was created. It included the cities of Anoka, Blaine, Fridley, Grow, Ham Lake, Ramsey Township and part of Moundsview. The first recorded school in what is now the Centennial District was housed in the F.X. LaValle home in 1854 in Centerville. In 1880, Francis Golden held school in her kitchen, which was near what is now Golden Lake in Circle Pines.
On January 1, 1956, District 48 (Lovell - with 20 classrooms and 890 pupils) and District 5 (Centerville - with eight classrooms and 280 pupils) consolidated. Each district consisted of just one school building. In 1957 a superintendent was hired for the new school district. During the summer of 1957, a $700,000 bond issue was passed to build a junior-senior high school.

Enrollment History

Enrollment began with 16 students in 1853 and grew to 6,410 in 2014.

History of Individual Schools

There have been schools in the area since the mid-1800's. The first recorded school was in Centerville; then a school was established near Golden Lake. At one time Centerville was a grade 1-12 school. As the population grew, high school students were sent to White Bear, while the Golden Lake school sent its older students to Anoka, and later, to Minneapolis.

Centennial Sports Arena

101st Lane
Built in 1991 - officially opened on January 1, 1992.