What is Special Education?
School districts provide a free and appropriate public education and thereby meet substantive and procedural obligations under the Individuals with Disabilities Education Act (IDEA) when it is appropriate:
- Classifies the student's educational handicap
- Develops an individual education plan (IEP) that provides the student educational benefit
- Places the student in appropriate school and classroom facilities
- Affords the student suitable mainstreaming opportunities
- Follows procedures that allow parents to participate in the IEP process