Centennial High School’s National Honor Society
The Centennial chapter of the National Honor Society (NHS) recognizes outstanding students for their academic achievement as well as their achievements in leadership, service, and character.
Membership in NHS necessitates a commitment. Apply for membership only if you are willing to attend NHS meetings held on a monthly basis and complete the required minimum number of community service hours (20 for new members and 40 for veteran members).
Juniors who do not qualify for membership may apply again during the next selection process their senior year, provided that they meet the academic criteria.
Students wishing to be considered for membership must thoroughly fill out a candidate form. In accordance with the Constitution of NHS, five faculty members are appointed annually by the Principal to serve as the NHS Faculty Council. It is their purpose to review the forms, select the new members and consider dismissals of the current members if applicable. The four pillars of NHS are Scholarship, Leadership, Service, and Character. Each of the four areas receives equal weight in the evaluation process.
The student who demonstrates scholarship:
- Has a cumulative GPA of 3.67 or higher.
The student who exercises leadership (examples include but are not limited to):
- Demonstrates initiative in promoting school activities.
- Exercises influence on peers upholding school ideals.
- Is able to delegate responsibilities.
- Is able to take on difficult or inconspicuous responsibilities.
- Exemplifies positive attitudes and inspires positive behavior in others in and out of the classroom.
- Demonstrates academic initiative.
- Successfully holds school offices or positions of responsibility.
- Is thoroughly dependable in any responsibility accepted.
The student who serves (examples include but are not limited to):
- Participates in activities for which they do not get paid nor do they directly benefit.
- Is willing to uphold scholarship and maintain a loyal school attitude.
- Participates in outside activities such as Girl Scouts, Boy Scouts, church groups, youth sports, volunteer services for the aged, poor, or disadvantaged, etc.
- Participates in committee work.
- Shows courtesy by assisting visitors, teachers and students.
- Can document a minimum of 75 hours of community service since entering high school.
The student who demonstrates good character (examples include but are not limited to):
- Demonstrates academic integrity in all they do.
- Upholds morality, ethics, and honesty while showing courtesy and concern for other individuals. “Character is doing what is right when nobody is looking.”
- Does not have any documented violation of discipline protocol or school policies. Students that are not in compliance with this may be in jeopardy of not being admitted into National Honor Society or may be dismissed if already a member. School records will be reviewed periodically to ascertain compliance in these areas.
2016-17 Selection Timeline:
November 3, Th Invite letters mailed to all eligible students
November 9, W Optional information meetings held in W619 7:35 AM & 2:55 PM
November 18, F All materials due by 3:15 in W619
Nov 21, M - Dec. 2, F Candidate forms will be scored by Faculty Council
November 28, M Leadership evaluation form on candidates sent to all teachers
December 6, T Meeting of Faculty Council for final selection
December 15, Th Final review by Faculty Council and Principal
December 19, M Acceptance/Non-acceptance letters mailed
January 11, 2017, W Induction ceremony
Steps to complete the Candidate packet:
- Read all material carefully.
- Download and complete the candidate form. This is available on the CHS
website at: http://www.isd12.org/schools/high-school/centennial-high-school/athletics-activities-clubs/activities-and-clubs/national beginning November 4th.
- Submit two letters of recommendation on your behalf.
- The letters should speak to your character
- Only one letter may come from a CHS teacher/staff member.
- One letter must come from a community member to whom you are not
- Submit everything to W619 by 3:15 on Friday, November 18.
- YOU ARE RESPONSIBLE FOR COLLECTING, ASSEMBLING, AND SUBMITTING ALL MATERIALS IN ONE PACKET TO W619 by 3:15 on Friday, November 18.