|Date||Event--most information came from scrapbooks in the district archives. The district is in possesion of school board minutes, some of which date back to 1895 (in the early years they had one meeting a year and mostly paid bills).|
|April 5, 1853||The Manomin School District was created. It included cities of Anoka, Blaine, Fridley, Grow, Ham Lake, Ramsey Township and part of Mounds View. Sixteen pupils enrolled by 1855.|
|1854-1855||The first recorded school in what is now the Centennial District was held in Centerville at the F.X. LaValle home during the winter.|
|1855-1865||School was held in a building on the grounds of St. Genevieve's Church.|
|1859||Centerville Township was established. It encompassed the current cities of Centerville, Circle Pines and Lino Lakes.|
|1865-1882||School was held in a building north of St. Genevieve's Church on the shore of Centerville Lake. This is the first record found of it being district #5.|
|1865||Mr. Bell began a school by Golden Lake.|
|July 7, 1877||Blaine Township was established. It encompassed the current cities of Blaine, Circle Pines, and Lexington.|
|1880||District 46 was organized and a school built on section 11.|
|1880||District 48 was organized and school held in the kitchen of the John Golden farm, west of Golden Lake which was then known as "Little Sandy". Francis Golden was the first teacher. |
Later there was a school building near the intersection of Golden Lake Road and Lake Drive.
|1882||The school board was authorized to spend $300 for a new building and $200 for the a site located across the street from the present day Centerville Elementary.|
|1888||A 16-foot addition was added to the Centerville School.|
|1894||The Golden Lake School building was moved to a location near the current Lovell Building. There were 12 students enrolled in 1894.|
|1900||A new district 48 school was built on the corner of Lexington and Lovell. The old building was moved across the street and later to Mounds View.|
|1900-1930||Horse drawn sleigh or mud buses transported students to schools.|
|1901||District 5 (Centerville) voted to build a new school. A four room two story school was constructed for about $2,500.|
|1917||Districts 5 (Centerville), 46, and 58 were consolidated into district 5. |
A second addition of 4 rooms was added to the Centerville school.
A hot lunch program was started in Centerville, Usually soup or hash supplemented by sandwiches the students brought themselves.
High school classes were offered in Centerville.
|April 10, 1929||A tornado destroyed District #48 school. It was rebuilt on the Lovell School site in Lexington for $3,500.|
|1937-1938||WPA built a gym, kitchen and lunchroom under the Centerville School.|
|1948||The old District 48 (Lovell) building was sold and a new three room school was built.|
|1950||Districts 20, 26 and 52 were consolidated into District 5.|
Somewhere around this time, Districts 46, 48, 52, 56, & 58 were consolidated into District 48. Classes were held in the basements of St. Genevieve's Catholic Church, The Christian Church and Our Savior's Lutheran Church.
|1951||High school students went to Anoka High, and when they ran out of space, to Columbia Heights.|
District 48 voted to become an independent district and a six-person board was elected.
|1951-1952||An 8-room addition was made to Lovell.|
|1952||High school students went to Marshall High School in Minneapolis. (maybe 1954?)|
|1955||Split shift half day schooling in Lovell School until 13 room addition was made to Lovell.|
|1956||Minneapolis Marshall High School no longer had room for District #48 students. |
District 240 was created by reorganizing districts 5 and 48. Before consolidation students from District 5 went to White Bear, and District 48 went to Marshall High School in Minneapolis.
|October 30, 1956||A vote for a bond issue to build a 28-room Jr/Sr High. In 1957 there was a 91.5 affirmative vote to add 17 rooms to that building. Classes held in Midland Coop Building, Galilee Baptist Church and St. Mark Lutheran until December when first classes were held in the new building.|
|1957||The state reorganized the numbering of school districts and District 240 became Independent School District #12.|
Arthur Bergee was named Superintendent of the new District #12 which consisted of two elementary buildings, Lovell with 20 rooms and Centerville with 8.
Ground breaking for new jr/sr high was April 1.
New Jr/Sr high opened in December with Principal William Mattke.
|1958||South East Anoka High School was dedicated on March 7.|
Bond passed for new senior high on September 23.
The name Centennial was selected for the school district, in celebration of Minnesota's statehood centennial.
|1959||A fire occurred at Centerville Elem. Grades 3-6 stayed in the lower level, K-2 went to Centennial Elem. A new six-room school with expandability to 18 rooms was proposed as well as another addition for Lovell (auditorium and gym)|
First football season--lost every game, Skyline Conference.
First season of Cross Country - winless.
District 12 qualified as a distressed district in 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964 and 1965.
|1961||First Junior/Senior Prom - theme "Blue Hawaii", held in gym, May 27.|
First graduating class - 51 seniors graduated, June 6.
First homecoming queen - Judy Heise, new football field dedication - Sept. 8.
First PTA meeting, included all JH and elementary parents.
|April 29, 1962||High School dedication.|
|1963||Kindergarten and grades 4-6 were in the high school, grades 1-3 went to the junior high. There were 90 seniors.|
|1965||Centennial Elementary dedicated on April 29.|
Anoka Ramsey community college was held in the High School.
|1966||Wing added to Centerville Elementary.|
|1967||Marshall Hankerson named superintendent.|
|1970||Final addition to Centerville Elementary.|
Ground breaking for Golden Lake Elementary.
|1971||Golden Lake Elementary opened with Richard (Buzz) Larson as principal.|
|1972||Bill Mattke was named superintendent.|
The first computer was purchased and installed in the senior high math department.
|August 1974||Published the first issue of district newsletter, The Observer.|
|1975||Straight line winds blew the roofs off several buildings.|
|1976||John McClellan was named superintendent.|
|1977||Centennial assumed responsibility for educating juveniles at the Metro Training Center in Lino Lakes.|
|1978||The High Potential program, later named the Talented and Gifted program, began.|
|1982||Closed Lovell School.|
|May 1986||Centennial High was one of the first metro schools to award academic achievement letters.|
|May 1987||Centennial designated as a National School of Excellence.|
|1989||Centennial district officially became tobacco free in August. |
The Program of Advanced Opportunity began offering college credit classes to 11-12 graders through Cambridge Community College and the U of M.
|1991||Ground breaking for Rice Lake Elementary August 22.|
Superintendent McClellan was selected as Minnesota Superintendent of the Year, 1991-92.
The district newsletter, The Observer took top honors for external newsletters from the Minnesota chapter of the National School Public Relations Association.
|1992||Rice Lake Elementary opened in the fall.|
Kids Club was piloted at Rice Lake by Spring Lake Park.
The first hockey game was played in the new hockey arena on Jan. 25.
The Performing Arts Center was dedicated on December 13.
Retired the "Chiefs" mascot - the "Cougar" became the mascot that fall. Click for details
|1997||Middle School opened - at this time the old junior high became part of the senior high school designated the "red building" while the original senior high became the "white building".|
|1998||The Middle School was dedicated in April.|
Early Childhood moved to new facility in Lino Lakes in December.
|2000||John McClellan retired; John Christiansen named new superintendent.|
|2002||Blue Heron opened with a student capacity of 750.|
|2003||Blue Heron dedication on April 13.|
|2005||Superintendent Christensen resigned; Dr. Roger Worner became the new superintendent.|
|2009||Dr. Roger Worner retired; Dr. Paul Stremick became the superintendent in July.|
Centennial Middle School received the Minnesota Academic Excellence Foundation School Spotlight Award. The award identifies schools that demonstrate academic excellence through significant gains in student achievement.
|2011||Dr. Paul Stremick resigned as of June 30, Dr. Keith Dixon was selected as interim superintendent.|
Dave Thacker named 2011 Special Education Administrator of the year by Minnesota Administratiors for Special Education.
High school building names changed from red and white to east and west in the fall.
|2013||Brian R. Dietz named Superintendent tenure to begin on July 1.|