The first classes held in District 48 took place in the kitchen of John Goldens' farm in 1880. The first school house was located near the intersection of Golden Lake Road and Lake Drive. In 1894 the school was moved to a site adjacent to the Mike Frischmon farm--they had 12 students. In 1900 a new school was built across the road, on the corner of Lovell Road and Lexington Avenue. There was only one teacher as late as 1947. In 1949 a three-room building was built on the present site of the Lovell Building. In 1952 eight rooms were added on to that building; in 1955 another 13 rooms were added; and in 1960 a kitchen, cafetorium and library were added. The high school students went to Marshall High School in Minneapolis in 1956 when Dist. 48 consolidated with Dist. 5. A newspaper dated March 15, 1960 stated that Lovell had 20 classrooms; a report dated May 1, 1966 adds there were 690 students attending Lovell.
In 1982 the school was closed. This decision was made based on costs of needed repairs
as well as declining enrollment.
1959-61 Ortwin Kolander
First full time principal - Francis Fogerty