Centennial School District Policy #602
REPLACED POLICY #3063
Revised: 9/18/17; 11/13/18; 3/30/20
602 ORGANIZATION OF SCHOOL CALENDAR AND SCHOOL DAY
The purpose of this policy is to provide for a timely determination of the school calendar and school day.
II. GENERAL STATEMENT OF POLICY
The school calendar and schedule of the school day are important to parents, students, employees, and the general public for advance, effective planning of the school year.
III. CALENDAR RESPONSIBILITY
- The school calendar shall be adopted annually by the school board. It shall meet all provisions of Minnesota statutes pertaining to minimum number of school days and other provisions of law. The school calendar shall establish student days, workshop days for staff, provide for emergency closings and other information related to students, staff, and parents.
B. Except for learning programs during summer and flexible learning year programs, the school district will not commence an elementary or secondary school year before Labor Day, except as provided in Section III.B.1., III.B.2., or III.B.3. Days devoted to teacher’s workshops may be held before Labor Day.
1. The school district may begin the school year on any day before Labor Day to accommodate a construction or remodeling project of $400,000 or more affecting a school district school facility.
2. The school district may begin the school year on any day before Labor Day if the school district has agreement under Minn. Stat. § 123A.30, § 123A.32, or § 123A.35 with a school district that qualifies under Section III.B.1.
3. The school district may begin the school year on any day before Labor Day if the school district agrees to the same schedule with a school district in an adjoining state.
C. Employee and advisory groups shall be provided an opportunity to participate in school calendar considerations through a meet and confer process.
IV. SCHOOL DAY RESPONSIBILITY
A. The superintendent shall be responsible for developing a schedule for the student day, subject to review by the school board. All requirements and provisions of Minnesota Statutes and Minnesota Department of Education Rules shall be met.
B. In developing the student day schedule, the superintendent shall consider such factors as school bus schedules, cooperative programs, differences in time requirements at various grade levels, effective utilization of facilities, cost effectiveness, and other concerns deserving of attention.
- Proposed changes in the school day shall be subject to review and approval by the school board.
V. E-LEARNING DAYS
A. An “e-learning day” is a school day where a school offers full access to online instruction provided by students’ individual teachers due to inclement weather.
B. A school district may designate up to five e-learning days in one school year.
C. An e-learning day is counted as a day of instruction and included in the hours of instruction pursuant to Section III.A., above.
D. The e-learning day plan developed by the school district will include accommodations for students without Internet access at home and for digital device access for families without the technology or with an insufficient amount of technology for the number of children in the household. The plan must also provide accessible options for students with disabilities.
E. The school district must notify parents and students of its e-learning day plan at the beginning of each school year.
F. When an e-learning day is declared by the school district, notice must be provided to parents and students at least two hours prior to the normal school start time that students will need to follow the e-learning day plan for that day.
G. On an e-learning day, each student’s teacher must be accessible both online and by telephone during normal school hours to assist students and parents.
Minn. Stat. § 120A.40 (School Calendar)
Minn. Stat. § 120A.41 (Length of School Year; Days of Instruction)
Minn. Stat. § 120A.414 (E-Learning Days)
Minn. Stat. § 120A.415 (Extended School Calendar)
Minn. Stat. § 120A.42 (Holidays)
Minn. Stat. § 122A.40, Subds. 7 and 7a (Employment; Contracts; Termination)
Minn. Stat. § 122A.41, Subds. 4 and 4a (Teacher Tenure Act; Cities of the First Class; Definitions)
Minn. Stat. § 123A.30 (Agreements for Secondary Education)
Minn. Stat. § 123A.32 (Interdistrict Cooperation)
Minn. Stat. § 123A.35 (Cooperation and Combination)
Minn. Stat. § 124D.126 (Powers and Duties of Commissioner; Flexible Learning Year Programs)
Minn. Stat. § 124D.151 (Voluntary Prekindergarten Program)
Minn. Stat. § 124E.25 (Payment of Aids to Charter Schools)
Minn. Stat. § 127A.41, Subd. 7 (Distribution of School Aids; Appropriation)
MSBA/MASA Model Policy 4