What is Title I?
The purpose of Title I is to ensure that all children have a fair, equal, and significant opportunity to obtain high-quality education and reach, and at a minimum, proficiency on challenging state academic achievement standards and state academic assessments through:
* Meeting the educational needs of low-achieving children, especially in reading.
* Closing the achievement gap especially those between disadvantaged children and their more advantaged peers.
* Distributing and targeting resources sufficiently to make a difference at a local level.
* Providing children with rich and accelerated educational programming including increasing instructional time.
* Affording parents substantial and meaningful opportunities to participate in the education of their children.
Title I is the largest federally funded educational program. It began in 1965. Centennial School District has two Title I schools:
* Centennial Elementary, 4707 North Road, Circle Pines, MN 55014 - 763-792-5300
* Golden Lake Elementary, 1 School Road, Circle Pines, MN 55014 - 763-792-5900
Title I services in reading and/or math are provided for students who meet specific criteria. Student progress is closely monitored, and Title I reading and/or math instruction is in addition to regular classroom instruction.
Title I definition at Ed.Gov