The clock is ticking to sign up for the 2021 Child Tax Credit. The IRS non-filer portal will be closing on 10/15/2021. There’s still time for eligible families who are not required to file taxes to register for advance monthly payments of the Child Tax Credit. See IRS details at https://go.usa.gov/x6par.
The American Rescue Plan Act expands the child tax credit for tax year 2021. The maximum credit amount has increased to $3,000 per qualifying child between ages 6 and 17 and $3,600 per qualifying child under age 6.
If you're eligible, you could receive part of the credit in 2021 through advance payments of up to:
- $250 per month for each qualifying child age 6 to 17 at the end of 2021.
- $300 per month for each qualifying child under age 6 at the end of 2021.
The expansion of the credit also means it:
- is fully refundable, meaning you can claim the credit even if you don't have earned income or don't owe any income taxes.
- now includes children who turn 17 in 2021.
- allows you to receive half of the 2021 estimated credit, in advance.
See Advance Child Tax Credit Payments in 2021 on IRS.gov for details on eligibility, timing of monthly payments, helpful resources and more.
Most families in the U.S. are automatically getting advance payments of the Child Tax Credit every month. To learn more, update your information, or sign up at: www.irs.gov/childtaxcredit2021.