2021-2022 School Year: FAQ on School Meals and Bringing Lunch from Home

2021-2022: Frequently Asked Questions Regarding Food Service and Bringing Lunch from Home

Are meals free for all families this year, regardless of Free and Reduced eligibility?
Yes, the United States Department of Agriculture announced an extension for schools to continue serving students under the Summer Feeding program. Our district will continue to provide meals to students through June 2022.  

Since meals are FREE, do I need to apply for Educational Benefits? 
An application is not required for this school year. However, your child(ren) may qualify for additional benefits such as reduced fees or the Pandemic Electronic Benefit Transfer (P-EBT) which is a federal temporary emergency nutrition benefit that is loaded onto electronic cards for families to purchase food. Your application also helps the school qualify for education funds and discounts. The district recommends completing the Application for Educational Benefits.

To apply, complete the Application for Educational Benefits following the instructions. Return your completed Application for Educational Benefits to:  Tara Forner, 399 Elm Street, Lino Lakes, MN 55014 or you may apply online for quicker processing. 

Our school provides healthy meals each day. The United States Department of Agriculture is allowing schools to provide meals for the 2021-22 school year through a provision of the National School Lunch Program called the Seamless Summer Option (SSO). A waiver has been issued in order to support access to nutritious meals while minimizing potential exposure to COVD-19.This waiver enables us to provide meals free of charge for all students

Do I need to fill out a new Application for Educational Benefits each year?
Yes. We need a new application each year. You can fill it out online at your Parent Portal or you can print off an application and can mail or drop off at any site. Applications are available here.

My student brings their lunch from home. Are they eligible for any other meal items at school?

Yes, we call it, "Take Three." If your student takes at least three items, one being a fruit and/or vegetable, the items are FREE and can complement their lunch from home.

What meals will be offered?
FREE breakfast and lunch will be served. The menu can be viewed here. 

What if my student wants just milk and no meal?

Students will be charged $.60 if they want just milk and no meal. Milk cannot be given free of charge without a meal due to State regulations. Free meals include milk.

How much do the meals cost?
Breakfast and lunch are FREE to all children 18 and younger. The first meal is free, second meal will be charged the meal rate.

  • 2nd Breakfast: $2.00
  • 2nd Lunch: $3.50
  • 2nd Entrée: $2.75

My student has a special diet. Will special diet menu items be available?
Yes. Please contact Food Service Director Tara Forner at 763.792.5423 or tforner@isd12.org to let her know you will need a Special Diet. Complete a 2021-2022 Special Diet Request Form. Forms are available here. This information needs to be updated annually. 

How will I know what's on the menu?
Visit our interactive menu here. It will have pictures, ingredients and nutritional information for items served. If you need more information, contact the Nutrition Services Office at 763.792.5423 or tforner@isd12.org

Are students using PIN numbers?
No, students will no longer have PIN numbers.

  • During the first month of school, student meals will be recorded at the register by the cashiers. If students want to purchase anything from Ala Carte or extra menu items, they will need to give their first and last name so meals can be charged. Students may use their smart phones to show their bar code from their Campus Portal.
  • Once the district receives the student’s ID badges, bar codes will be added on to make purchases quicker. 

How much taxpayer money is used to operate the school nutrition program?
Centennial School District’s Nutrition Services (CNS) is a self-sustaining operation.No funds from the district’s General Fund are used in the operation of School Nutrition Services(SNS). SNS receives money from the federal and state government through the National School Lunch Program.

How can I make deposits to my child’s account?
Log into your Infinite Campus Parent Portal online or use the App. Navigate to Food Service and select the account(s) you would like to make a payment to. Select "Pay" to add to your cart and complete the transaction. You may pay for other fees as well as food service in one transaction. Centennial is no longer using PayPams for food service deposits. Any account balances have been transferred to your Campus account. Questions? Call 763.792.5423.

Where do I see transactions from my student’s account?
You can view transactions from your Campus Parent Portal.

What happens to a child’s money at the end of the school year?
If a child has money left in his/her account at the end of the school year that money will be available on the first day of school the following year. All balances, whether credit or debit, follow the student from year to year.