Information on Emergency School Closings, Delayed Starts, Early Dismissals
The most typical reasons for closing school, delaying the start of school, or shortening the school day are related to snow and cold. Students must be able to safely arrive at school, whether by bus, car, or walking. The amount of snow, temperature, wind chill and passable roads are among the many factors considered. The choice to cancel school is never easy or taken lightly.
Parents always have the right to excuse their child from school if they feel conditions are unsafe. If you choose to keep your child at home, please call the attendance line to report the absence; it will be an excused absence for the day. Students who stay home on severe weather days will be responsible for checking teacher websites and/or referring to class syllabi for class assignments and due dates.
If your student is enrolled in a program at Northeast Metro 916, please visit www.916schools.org to determine whether your student’s school is canceled. If our district is closed but 916 is open, your student may attend school but we are not able to provide transportation.
How the Community is Notified:
An announcement of a school closing or a delayed start is usually posted by 6:00 a.m. The community is notified via:
- Twin Cities television stations.
- Information posted on the district website - www.isd12.org.
- By calling the District Office at 763 792 6000 and school office phones.
- An "alert notification" will be sent to families by telephone and/or text through the District's SchoolMessenger communication system. A message will be sent to your home phone, cell phone, work phone, by text--see below, based upon information provided by each family.
- IF YOU ARE UNABLE TO ANSWER THE CALL, A MESSAGE WILL GO TO YOUR VOICE MESSAGE BOX. PLEASE RETRIEVE YOUR MESSAGE INSTEAD OF HITTING "REDIAL."
Do you want to receive emergency and school closing information by text?
Text "Y" or "YES" to 67587
Opt out of these messages at any time by responding to one of our messages with "STOP." Note: The District will text only emergency information and bus delay updates. SchoolMessenger is compliant with the Student Privacy Pledge, so be assured your information is safe and will never be given or sold to anyone. Terms and conditions: Message frequency varies. Standard message and data rates may apply. Reply HELP for help. Text STOP to cancel.
Flexible Learning Days
Students will engage in Flexible Learning if the District announces a closing of its schools due to inclement weather. Flexible Learning Days will count as school days.
Click here for more information on Flexible Learning.
Updated December 21, 2022